Saturday, May 29, 2010

Update from Ethiopia

It's 9:14 at night in Ethiopia, 8 hours later than Central Time in Texas. I am wrapping up my day and for thanking God for answered prayers.
Here's a snapshot of my day:
4:00 am ish- dogs barking, music playing from some unknown source down the street, found ipod with praise music and my beloved U2
7:30 am- alarm woke me up
9:00 am- leisurely breakfast at the Guest House, switched rooms
10:30 am- National Museum of Ethiopia with our guide, T, and the Johnsons
12:30 pm- lunch at Lucy's, no fossilized remains served, very nice restaurant, ate Doro Wot and injera
2:00 pm- Transition Home, able to give three care packages and take photos for 3 families, spent 2 hours with Ben
4:30 pm- returned to the Guest House
6:00 pm- Chatted with my hubby on Skype
6:45 pm- Dinner at Guest House- delicious chicken & rice in a tomato sauce
8:00 pm- Chatted with both of my boys on Skype- I miss them!
This is the bare bones of the day. And I saw a lot of bones today!! Ethiopia is an archeological gold mine.
The highlights of the day occurred at 4 am and 2 pm. God was speaking to me in my restless hours of the morning. He seems to do that often these days. I was concerned about Ben's reaction yesterday. He cried and wailed when I met him. It is actually a good sign to see his emotion and connection to the nannies, but it was a tough first meeting. I thought about Doug Martine sharing about how his daughter cried and cried when he first held her. She only wanted Cristie. I was wishing that Keith was here to test the other parent theory.
After lots of prayer and new expectations, I was relieved that Ben let me pick him up immediately today. He had just begun his bottle and was content to move outside and rest in my lap. In fact, he just pretended to eat for about 20 minutes. I didn't care. I was so glad that he was settled in to my arms. After snack, we played on the patio with some toys that I brought him, a musical mini "guitar" and a bumblebee on wheels. He tried to share his new toy with another little boy through the window, and I caught a glimpse of his little personality. We walked into the toddler room, sat and played. Later I asked his nannies who was his friend in the room. She looked around, smiled and said, "Everyone." I could see that.
Another treasured moment of the day was giving care packages to some of the kids on behalf of their families. I loved on them, showered them with gifts, took photos, and prayed over them. What could be better?? I know how much it meant to me for the Sullivans to deliver our care package and take photos of our little guy. I hope to bring a few families that much joy. I just wish that I could have brought more!
Please join me in prayer that each meeting with Ben will be better and better. Our court date is Monday, sometime in the morning.
Blessings from Ethiopia,
Danielle

2 comments:

  1. With tears streaming down my cheeks, I will lift up my friend and fellow mother in prayer! And I will continue to pray for your sweet, sweet son. I love you, D - thanks for your post..helps all of us to know how to pray!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are holding your family up in prayer and hoping for wonderful news about court. Thanks for loving on our girls!

    Deanne Mott

    ReplyDelete